24 January 2011

My home: an introduction.

In this mini-series, I'm going to share a selection of my favourite things from each room in our house. Hopefully these posts will provide you with a little insight into my style, and give you a peek into what our house is like.

Living room

Among the many things in our living room (which I dare say you will get to see in future posts), I've decided to show you my collection of old pencil drawings.


I have a great sentimental attachment to these drawings (the 5 pencil drawings of 1940s women), as they were drawn by my late grandfather during WWII. He loved drawing and practised sketching by copying pictures from magazines, as these pictures show. 

My grandfather died when I was 13, and soon afterwards my grandmother gave me these pictures. I wanted to frame them, so put them into clip frames and hung them on the wall of my bedroom in my parents' house.

When David and I bought our first house together in 2004, I wanted the pictures to be presented in better frames and displayed in a place where everyone who visited our house would see them, so I mounted them in a selection of frames from IKEA, and hung them on the wall going up our stairs.

In our current house, the pictures are given pride of place in our living room above our sofa. We hung picture shelves from IKEA, and the drawings sit on them alongside other pictures, framed greetings cards and maps. 

I've included some close-ups of the drawings so you can see them more easily.




No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...